Wednesday, September 12, 2018

I Thought I Saw John Keats Last Night


I thought I saw John Keats last night.
I can’t be sure. We’ve never met.
Half-lit beneath the streetlamp’s light,
his cough was deep and rough and wet.

He had his collar pulled up high.
He shuddered in the misting rain.
I saw his breath. A prayer. A sigh. 
Some music from his teeming brain.

The bookie rushed past to the store.
The music pounded from the car.
The girl ran toward the open door.
A fight called from the corner bar.

The memories that crowd me out.
The one who sobbed and grieved and died.
Indulgences of rage and doubt.
Confessions little, lost, and lied.

I thought I saw John Keats last night.
I can’t be sure. We’ve never met.
Perhaps he went to watch the fight.
Or see the girl. Or pay a debt.
His face was soaked with rain and sweat.

I thought I saw John Keats last night.
The passing phantoms swallowed him.
His eyes were damp and dark and dim.
I caught them in the streetlamp's light.
Time out of joint then put to right.
Intruding vision, set to flight.


No comments:

Post a Comment