Tuesday, August 20, 2019

A Dozen Leelanau Haiku



I.

Paddleboard

The still lake at dawn.
“It is early,” it whispers.
“Come, walk upon me.”

II.

Veritas

Busfuls of tourists
empty into tasting rooms.
I drink wine at home.

III.

Undisputed

Who owns the beachfront?
In truth, neither you nor I.
The lake holds title.

IV.

Bounty

Lake trout on the grill,
garlic scapes, and sweet corn.
The gods amaze me.

V.

Hike

The woods in summer.
The scent of pines in hot sun.
Insects eat my head.

VI.

Farmstand

Better than kisses
from naked, aroused angels:
August tomatoes.

VII.

Jaws

Snapping turtle head,
then the shell, big as a tire.
I think: “Holy crap!”

VIII.

Rock

Odd name: Petoskey.
And, in the end, just a stone.
I lust after them.

IX.

Angler

I cast for big perch.
I catch and catch all day long.
Everything but.

X.

Perfection

Front porch on farmhouse.
Pray, what could make things better?
Two martinis, please.

XI.

Wind

I raise my mainsail.
A beamy breeze would delight.
It blows hard dead south.

XII.

Parable

The cherry truck turns.
Ripe fruit spills upon the road.
Sweet, glorious mess.



No comments:

Post a Comment